After my last post I continued working on my book proposal but I realized I never really explained what goes into one. So here it is, my recipe (as outlined by my literary agent) for a Book Proposal:
- Word count
- Tagline – A one sentence summary of your book
- Back Cover Blurb – Exactly what it sounds like
- Abbreviated Bio with author photo – Turns out I’m super boring because it was really hard to write that.
The above must fit on one page.
- 1-3 Page story synopsis – Harder than it sounds
- Competitive analysis – Had to go to the library for this one. I needed to compare my book to other books, explain why they’re similar/different/will attract the same reader. Thank god for the public library.
- Marketing Strategies – where I listed all my social media outlets and my follower count
- The first three chapters of my book
And that’s it. That’s what goes into a Book Proposal. It may look easy but it still took me several hours of writing and researching. (I love you Novi Public Library!!!)
I sent it off to my agent and now all I can do is wait. Something I am truly awesome at. In the meantime I am going to continue working on my third book (working title is Djinni in a Bottle) and when I want to procrastinate I’ll do my polish draft on Seer. That means getting rid of some of the words I’ve overused (looked, shrugged, was, that, it, etc.)
Bye for now!