Let me say it for the people in the back, a main character does not need to be an orphan. A lot of the time, main character’s engage in behavior that normal, loving parents would find to be concerning. They might even go so far as to forbid such activities that a “chosen one” is bound to engage in. One of the easiest ways to eliminate this problem is by killing off the parents. Now don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of books where the death of the parents furthers the plot (Harry Potter) but please for the love of god stop killing these MCs parents just because you are eliminating an obstacle or trying to provide the MC with a “tragic backstory”.
Ok, end of rant.
I have an alphabetized library that spans 5 bookcases. That being said, choosing a favorite book is the equivalent of being asked to choose a favorite child. Here are some of the books/series that I have either re-read more than five times or I love so much that they automatically earned a spot in my top 10 (in no particular order):
- Harry Potter Series – because I am a human being with a soul
- Alex Verus series – If you like contemporary magic books
- Ready Player One – This book is honest, funny, and has plot twists that left me screaming at my phone (I listened to it on audiobook)
- The Faerie Wars series – a series of 5 books that i have easily read through over 10 times. It is a contemporary magic series that takes place in this, and another dimension. British humor also runs rampant through this book
- So you want to be a Wizard series – I’m ashamed to say, I haven’t read the most recent book in this series. I bought it months ago and keep putting it off. That is because something happens in book 5 that almost made me toss the whole series and i don’t want to relive it. But you should totally check it out!
- The Hobbit – I love the LOTR movies but boy are they long winded. If you want a fun, quick adventure story look no further than The Hobbit
- The Mortal Instruments Series – occasionally there’s a little too much love-triangling but overall it is a quality series with realistic characters coping with the realities of living in a supernatural world
- The Mistborn Trilogy – these are heavy books dealing with heavy subjects and the ending is happy(?) but it’s a series I love and think you will too
- Anything by Neil Gaiman – really. anything at all
- Dune – Sequels, Prequels, and the Original 4, I love Dune. One of my favorite memories is reading dune on a beach, digging my toes into the sand. If you enjoy good books then Dune is the series for you!
These are just the books that I could think of. I’m sure that, had I been looking at my books when I was writing this, I might have added different tomes to this list. But as these were the ones that came to mind, these are the ones that went in the post. I highly recommend reading each and every one of these books.
Post your favorite series in the comments!
Bye for now!